Whether your history group is starting from scratch, or has an existing archive of material I can help you. My structured and innovative websites create a comprehensive online archive for local history following recommended standards. At the same time we can use this to make engaging and immersive web pages.
The problem is organising a wealth of material to make it accessible and useful for research. Working closely with local history groups I’ve evolved a framework which can adapt to common problems which history groups face.
- By using the cataloguing guidelines developed by the Community Archives and Heritage Group, your local history archive will be comprehensive, detailed and compatible.
- Written and printed documents, pamphlets and books, photographs both printed and digital, audio recordings, tangible items can all be dealt with.
- Sites are based on WordPress which is commonly available technology.
- Custom designed modules give your website all the features you need plus a look that is unique to your organisation.
- Powerful search facilities give easy access to the archive database, and can reference the text of PDFs, the EXIF data of digital images, and other documents.
- Good design ensures your site will look attractive. Clever programming follows the latest responsive standards for use on all devices.
WordPress is open source software which can be used to create websites. It is a highly developed and well supported system which explains why at least a third of the world’s websites are claimed to have been created by WordPress.
In the days before Facebook many people wanted to express themselves online. This led to the development of Wordpress as a blogging tool with two major advantages. It was easy to use and it included its own Content Management System (CMS). Consequently ordinary people could update their websites instead of paying web designers to do it.
Not just a blogging tool
Over the years WordPress has grown into a highly professional system, capable of creating almost any type of website. Because of its user friendly CMS its popularity grew rapidly. Despite being an out-of-the-box solution, WordPress is highly customisable, ensuring your website gains a unique identity. The basic framework can be enhanced with ‘Themes‘ to change the website design and ‘Plugins‘ to add extra functions which makes it a highly adaptable tool.
WordPress is under continuous innovation and improvement by a large team of developers. Almost all the Themes and Plugins are created by third-party developers and competition has led to a vast choice. The latest Themes make it easy to create websites that are fully adaptable to all devices and satisfy all the current standards. Clever Plugins add enhancements such as e-commerce, calendars and booking systems.
- Highly developed and easy to use.
- Inexpensive and quick to set up.
- Can create a website that looks exactly the way you want.
- Plugins add extra functionality.
- Simply manage your own content.
- Well thought out, highly developed and stable software.
- Lots of documentation and help on the internet.
- WordPress skills are valuable and trasferable.